Sunday, May 10, 2015

Elitism In The Kitchen



Something I’ve always wanted to bring up is this strange ideology associated with elitism where one play is better because it is more pricy. As a restaurant worker myself, I find it so weird that people think quality of cooking comes from how much one charges. Anyone who actually cooks for an audience knows that the only place where price effects the quality of a dish is when buying the ingredients. The price on the end product more than often is a reflection of the ingredients, however, it’s so insane to me that so many people take this as a measure of taste. Then it leads me to question the mindset of chefs. How humble and/or arrogant are these chefs working in these famous restaurants. Is there this threshold that you reach, enabling you to somehow never make a bad dish again? What provokes these outrageous ideals?



                                         Apparently, this is the result of the elitist thinking.

Then I got to think some more, and it made me wonder, do these arrogant chef’s believe and overprice for the food, or more so because of the ambiance of the area it’s presented in. This topic of ambiance is very essential in fact to the meal, but I’m a firm believer that a much larger portion of price for a meal, should come from the actual meal itself. That is not to say that food is okay when presented in very harsh/unclean conditions, but still there should be a clear division between which makes the price of the meal.


Then, there’s the other kind of price tags which are based on neither of these qualities but instead on the service provided. While I do agree that the price of effort put into pleasing a customer is important, I don’t agree with it being one of the more spoken about portions of the price tag. Moreover, the reason I don’t see it as being on equal with the other factors that determine pricing is that the waiters vary, and the quality of service varies far too much to try to make a standard price out of it. However, these are just my thoughts, feel free to comment your own.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have an excellent point here; honestly though, it seems like the cost of anything isn't necessary an indication of its quality. The best example I can honestly think of is Apple versus Microsoft; both are somewhat comparable products, but you end up paying almost three times as much for an Apple product simply because of the name. I think with both chefs and restaurants, its a similar flaw; it isn't the food that you are paying for, so much as the name that comes with the food. I think that is a terrible shame, especially since they can charge exorbitant prices for absolute garbage, and at the same time criticize you for your lack of taste. I guess when it comes to this level of elitism, you can only hope that people will be honest about their opinions, and not pretend to enjoy it simply for the sake of following the crowd.

    ReplyDelete